Thursday 1 May 2014

Broiled Zucchini (or Eggplant)


  • 4 medium zucchini (or a medium globe eggplant)
  • Avocado oil, palm oil, coconut oil, or your favorite fat
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper
  • Balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
  • Your favorite herbs, chopped (basil, Italian parsley, etc.)
Here’s how I made them:
I preheated the oven to broil and made sure the top rack is about 6 inches from the heating element. I thinly sliced the zucchini (1/4 “ thick) using a mandoline slicer.


No mandoline? Benriner makes a cheap one that my chef sister swears by. It’s important to have uniformly thick slices because otherwise it won’t brown evenly.
I lined a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Then, I drizzled a generous amount of oil, salt, and pepper on the foil.


I spread the zucchini slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and flipped them over to make sure both sides were greased and seasoned.


(Or, if you prefer, just use a silicone brush to apply the oil.)


I seasoned the zucchini with some more salt and pepper, and placed the tray in the oven and broiled for about 8-10 minutes, flipping the slices and rotating the tray halfway through.


Watch the slices carefully because they can go from lightly browned to charcoal in about a minute.
Depending on how I’m serving the zucchini, I’ll either just drizzle the finished slices with my favorite vinegar or lemon juice…


or top with chopped herbs…


…and whatever else I feel like.


Fast, tasty, and easy clean-up. I’m all over that!

No comments: